Thomas MacEntee of geneabloggers.com started with a new meme – a nice idea and so I will participate with him and a couple of other geneabloggers too.
I’ve started a new meme today and I’m hoping the genealogy blogging community will pick it up since I feel the knowledge that it can impart and share with the community is important.
The meme: called What I Do and you basically list what you use in terms of technology to either run your genealogy business or pursue your family history as a hobby.
Why is this important? Very often – especially if you work at home like me – we operate in a vacuum. We have no idea what other people are using unless they mention it in an email or a blog post. Or we have to ask for a recommendation.
So take a look. Copy and use the list below if you want to participate at your blog. Use the words “What I Do” in the post title and I’ll list it here:
- Hardware: Apple PowerBook G4, 1,33 GHz, 160GB HD, Bluetooth, Firewire a.s.o.
- External storage: 2x IceCube Firewire HD 3,5″ (120GB & 250GB), 1x iOmega 120GB 2,5″
- Online storage: Dropbox Basic (with 2GB), my Webspace at Domainbox.de
- Backup: Weekly on iOmega (Major Stuff), Weekly on Dropbox (Really important Stuff), Monthly on IceCube 250GB the whole Hardrive
- Virus protection: hey, wtf! I’am a Mac User!?
- Printer: HP Deskjet – put hey who prints?
- Phone, Mobile media, Music Player: iPhone 3GS & iPod shuffle
- Car audio: Build-In Ford-Ka car audio
- eBook Reader: iBooks (on iPhone) – but not really used
- Browser: Safari & Firefox
- Blog: WordPress (own installation)
- RSS: GoogleReader and MobileRSS (on iPhone)
- FTP: Transmit
- Text editor: Text-Edit Mac OSX.4
- Graphics: Adobe Photoshop Elements 4
- Screen capture: Mac OS X.4
- Social media: Twitter, facebook, LinkedIn, Xing, MeinVZ
- URL shortener: bit.ly
- Office suite: Office Mac X
- E-mail: Mac OS X.4 – Mail
- Calendar: Mac OS X.4 – Calendar
- Accounting: Bank X
- PDF generator: Mac OSX.4
- Genealogy database: Reunion / TNG at my website
- Genealogy tools: only Reunion
- Other tech stuff: DreamWeaver (Website Editor), Things (a GTD Tool, Desktop & iPhone), LittleSecrets, Cocktail